Monday, June 25, 2012

Color Love # 2...

I now see the clear difference between student and artist grade art products.

My second session featured water colored crayons. The instructor, Joanne, used a set with a fancy French sounding name, artist grade. I used my Stampin' Up! crayons, apparently student grade. Joanne's crayons blended smoothly with the water. Mine didn't dissolve all the way when the water was added and the resultant wash looked grainy. She  blended colors together beautifully. Mine blended slightly but did not have the same richness.

Funny thing is, before this class, I was very happy with the results that I got with the SU crayons. I thought they worked very well. So, I had to do a little thinking about this. Hhhmmm.

I have always used the water colored crayons with stamped images and they tend to be small. In this class, I'm working with a 5 1/2 x 8 " watercolor journal so the washes of color are larger and show more texture and blending.

I've bought a lot of the products that Joanne has suggested for her classes, but I decided to hold off on the crayons and the Tombow markers that we will use on Wednesday. I want to see if I really will continue to use these techniques or will return to my small art work. No sense in having more goodies sitting on my shelves gathering dust. Maybe Santa will bring me a present.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments: