Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge- Letter T


WELCOME, EVERYONE:

 to my second year in the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge.

Since I plan to retire shortly, I thought an alphabetical look back at my paying library career and a look ahead to my crafting and writing career would be a good use of my 26 days in this challenge, 26 wonderful words for retiring me. Hope you enjoy. I am looking forward to reading whatever you share this month on your blogs, too.

LOOKING BACK: 
Treasure- (wealth or riches stored or accumulated.) 
People, things and times I will treasure and take with me:
  • Working with Charlotte, my first assistant.
  • The first Girl Scouts who worked with me in the Summer Reading Program (SRP) and then became my first teen volunteers.
  • All those SRP themes and the activities that went with them.
  • Listening to a 10 year old boy explain the play he had just read, Hamlet. Certainly was a different telling.
  • Holding all those new babies while the Moms got the older kids' coats on and off.
  • One summer, the theme involved detectives. I was doing a craft with kids, I left the room, came back dressed in a disguise. I walked around the room several times. I left and came back without the disguise. Then I asked them to write down what I wore- they were so busy telling me that they knew it was me, hardly any of them could remember what I was wearing. It was lots of fun.
  • Then, later as Assistant Director, I loved writing out all the checks for the monthly bills, mailing them all. Such a feeling of finishing a job well done.
  • Working with the Board as an equal and sharing in two hard fought building campaigns. We lost both, not for lack of trying on our part, though. And my opinion and work was valued.
  • New employees coming on, other employees leaving and all that was required to get everyone settled.
  • Creating holiday cards for the staff; 20or so cards, each a little different. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Spring. Wish I had been able to do more of them.
  • Creating 1/2 of a scrapbook for Becky, who had taken my place in the Children's Department. She moved away. I found many pictures of all the groups of kids she had worked with and the ideas just flowed onto the pages. Hopes she still looks at that book and remembers I gave her a piece of my heart.
  • Creating a scrapbook for a Carol Ann when she turned 65. Had pictures of the staff and funny sayings. I know she has that on her coffee table.
  • And then there are the books, every glorious one of them that I will miss.
Looking ahead: 
Robin eggs in a hollow tree in our yard.
Time Capsules- (a receptacle holding documents or objects put away to be discovered at a later date.)
Talking about scrapbooks, each one I make captures a time and place for me. I have one for each of my grandchildren's first year, one of my son and then my daughter's weddings, books of my hubby's and my vacations. Did a double album, before and after renovating our home. Did six identical mini albums for my sisters, daughter and daughter in law about my Mom, and a sad one about my husband's parents when they passed away.

Been awhile since I've done an album but I am looking forward to working on 3 albums of our various cruises and one about my favorite things which I started a long while ago (see photos).
Crab Apple tree in front yard.

I like finding stamped images, poems, bit and pieces to make my pages unique. Now that I am learning a lot about creating my own backgrounds with stencils, gesso and the like, I should be coming up with some great visuals.

3 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love the bit about how you wore a disguise with the kids - too funny! And your scrapbooks sound so special and lovely. :)

Happy A-Z!

HistorySleuth said...

Time capsules are the coolest thing, especially when they open the old ones.

History Sleuth's Writings A to Z

Andrea said...

Terrific treasures! Your scrapbooks are going to be such fun!