Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge 2014 - Letter M

Hello, Old Friends and New and Welcome to

April
and my 3rd year of  blogging in the Challenge. 


I love cats. I can't remember a time when there weren't cats in my life. Sometimes one or two, most times lots more. My husband, Gary, and I seem to be magnets for strays. Consequently, I have many photographs of cats and kittens that resided outside our houses and of those who, by the luck of the draw or paw, made it into the inner sanctum of feline luxury, our home. I have also written poems and stories about cats that I will share for the next 13 blog days with you. I am also looking forward to visiting your blogs to see what interests you.

M is for the Massacre, the Great Gerbil...

 Many years ago, Peter, my middle son, brought home from school a pair of "male" gerbils, which soon proved to be male and female. Now, you all know what  happens with gerbils- they multiply. For several years, we kept our growing family in a 40 gallon fish tank that had a lid with a light in it. It was great to watch the gerbils create nests from paper towels and tissue boxes. We found that gerbils made great entertainment for the family and the cats. The cats would line up and watch the little critters run around their tank.

One of our cats, Tipperary Tail, was especially fascinated by these little racy rats and he would hit the front of the tank and then put the other paw under the tank to catch the gerbil that he thought would fall out. Always a disappointment for the cat.

One morning, when we came down stairs, we noticed that the lid on the gerbil tank was sitting at a funny angle. As we came closer to the tank, we saw that Tipperary Tail was sleeping in the tank. Apparently, during the night he had climbed up on the lid and it had given way, dumping him in the tank. He must have thought he had won the Lottery. A gazillion gerbils and no people to stop him.

There were no signs of a gerbil in the tank, I am sure they made a wonderful midnight snack for him. Tipperary slept off his gluttonous attack and we put away the 40 gallon tank, thus ending our foray into raising gerbils.

From then on, when we have told our cat stories, we have called this chapter, The Great Gerbil Massacre.

A well fed kitty.

Thank you for stopping in and I hope you enjoy my pampered cats.


Blogging from A to Z April Challenge - 2014 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sharing some A to Z love. Your pampered pet is positively pretty. The eyes seem very striking. Makes me miss my cat. Love the blog.

Heather M. Gardner said...

I love that cat.
Heather

Susan Kane said...

Oh, the horror. Excellent post for M. I have never one where the cat wipes out his prey in a 40 gal. tank.

Marci said...

Oh, those silly cats! When I was in grade school I had a couple of chameleons and kept them in a small plastic tank with live crickets for them to eat. We also had a Siamese kitty named Theresa who was quite the little predator. She was more interested in the crickets (they actually moved) and on three occasions knocked the entire tank over trying to get at them. We found the lizards the first two times it happened, but they entirely disappeared the third time. Oops! Cheers, marci (fuzzyundertones.com)

JoJo said...

That's really sad! Poor gerbils. :(

Unknown said...

This is my 2nd year blogging the A to Z Challenge.

Following from Blogging AtoZ.
I'm writing "Things My Husband Has Broken" A to Z at http://AMomsPointOfView.com
Come by and check it out.