Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge 2014 - Letter P

Hello, Old Friends and New and Welcome to

April
and my 3rd year of  blogging in the Challenge. 


I love cats. I can't remember a time when there weren't cats in my life. Sometimes one or two, most times lots more. My husband, Gary, and I seem to be magnets for strays. Consequently, I have many photographs of cats and kittens that resided outside our houses and of those who, by the luck of the draw or paw, made it into the inner sanctum of feline luxury, our home. I have also written poems and stories about cats that I will share for the next 10 blog days with you. I am also looking forward to visiting your blogs to see what interests you.

 P is for Patrol...
 We share our yard with deer, opossums, raccoons, fox, coyotes, skunks, wild turkeys, groundhogs, mice, voles and other assorted four footed critters. Our yard is surrounded by farms with sheep. cows and horses. Our skies are crowded with regular back yard birds along with hawks, falcons, pigeons and turkey buzzards. There is always something for outdoor and indoor cats to watch. Sometimes the outdoor cats persue, sometimes they are pursued.

 




Feline Fall Yard Patrol

Wind blowing across the yard swirls leaves in the grass.
A long, low striped shape slinks from under the chair;
Other less brave souls follow, tails twitching in the air.

Eight amber eyes are watching yellow leaves falling to the ground.
What a cause this is for rolling, prancing, wiggling and pouncing;
At last the leaves lie still in surrender, no longer crunching.

Tussles break out among the ranks of these fierce warriors.
The play fights start with mutual grooming galore
And only end with belly bites, to even up the score.

A Ringed-neck Pheasant family.


A beautiful bird.

Mom, not so much.

A vixen.

Her kits.

They make a lovely family who will eat cats when they are hungry 

Thank you for stopping in and I hope you enjoy my pampered cats.


Blogging from A to Z April Challenge - 2014 

.
Then crickets chirp under flower pots in the garden.
The troops dash off like Keystone cops in a comedy
Climbing over pots and pumpkins and themselves, to find the common enemy.

Tiredly, the mini guards climb up the front porch steps.
Content with today’s lessons in yard patrol cat
They nap on Mom, a fluffy mass upon the sun lit mat.

2 comments:

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Your poem made me smile. I'd love your grounds too if I were a cat. Our Molly the Cat likes to patrol the Mama's garden every morning before her mid-morning nap. :-)
The View from the Top of the Ladder

Heather M. Gardner said...

Awesome.

Heather